I get really excited about snail mail, the fun kind, the “brown paper packages tied up with string” kind, and I’m pretty sure that I’m not alone. That’s why I thought that putting together a pen pal/gift exchange would be a fun way for 12WBTers to get to know each other a little better and to get a little creative. During the past week I’ve put my feelers out there and have gotten a lot of positive feedback on the idea from my fellow 12WBTers and I have promised info/terms and conditions, so here they are.
Key dates for the Pen Pal Project/Gift Exchange:
- Submissions will be open throughout Week 4 of the 12WBT and will close at 11:59pm on Sunday the 9th of June.
- I will message/email you with your pal’s contact info by the end of Weigh-in Wednesday in Week 5.
- You will then need to get in touch with your pal by the end of Week 5 to introduce yourself, ask them about their interests and get their postal address – the person that you send a package to will not be the same person that you will be receiving a package from.
- You will then have two weeks to put your parcel together, all packages should be sent by the end of Week 7.
- Everyone should receive their packages by Week 10, if not before.
Terms and Conditions:
- You will contact your pal by the end of Week 5.
- There is a $10 limit – let’s see how creative we can get!
- You will post your package by the end of Week 7.
- Your package will be put together thoughtfully and with respect for your pal’s interests/beliefs – let’s keep things motivational!
- Postage method is entirely up to your discretion, here is a link to the Australia Post domestic pricing list: http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/pricing-and-postage-guides.html
- You will not use your pal’s contact details for anything other than for the Pen Pal Project unless otherwise specified.
- There is always the possibly that your mail could go missing or not be sent – if it gets to Week 10 and you haven’t received anything yet, let me know and I will sort something out for you.
If you would like to participate and have read, understood and agree to the above terms and conditions please email email@example.com or message emily_bee on the 12WBT website with the following:
- Your name.
- 12WBT username (required).
- Email (or preferred contact method… if you’re more comfortable having someone message your 12WBT account directly just let me know).
- Optional – feel free to send a short bio/message for me to pass on to your pal.
If you have any questions please let me know! This is the first time I have ever organised something like this so I hope it makes sense!
Have some fun with this! You could include a letter, motivational quotes or a recipe, send something that relates to your 12WBT (a card from your gym?); something that might brighten your pal’s day or that you think they will like. Make something? Have your kids make something? The possibilities are endless (though not limitless – remember that $10!!).
I’ve always loved the idea of having a pen pal; it could have something to do with how much Grease I watched when I was younger (Hopelessly Devoted, anyone?) but I also really enjoy writing and I like the idea of putting together little packages for people so I’m really excited to get this going!